Copyright © 2019 Robin J. Krane, PLLC | Family Law & Divorce Attorney - Vancouver, WA | All Rights Reserved
Serving the Vancouver area including Amboy, Brush Prairie, Battleground, Camas, Fisher’s Landing, Hazel Dell, Hockinson, La Center, Orchards, Ridgefield, Washougal, Yacolt, and all other surrounding areas.
ROBIN J. KRANE Attorney at Law PLLC
There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
DIVORCE - Protect What You Value Most When your family is at stake, you need knowledge, and experience, that you can count on. It may seem as though there are a surplus of divorce lawyers in the Vancouver area, but it is important to recognize the difference between a divorce attorney, and a family law attorney. Although the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, divorce law is only one of many issues encompassed by family law. A divorce attorney may not have the necessary skills or knowledge to represent you in any family law matter other than a divorce. However, a family law attorney can handle divorce litigation, as well as any premarital, or post martial family law issues. Dissolution of Marriage A dissolution of marriage is a divorce, and legally ends the marriage. In Washington, one, or both spouses, can file for a dissolution if a marriage falls apart. The law uses the terms “irretrievably broken” to described a failed marriage. A marriage is irretrievably broken if one of the spouses says it is. The other spouse does not have to agree to the dissolution of marriage. The court will enter orders for parenting time, child support, dividing your property, debts and possibly alimony to you or your spouse. The state of Washington is a no fault state for the purposes of dissolution matters, as it is intended to help spouses settle matters without unnecessary bitterness, or resentment. If you are thinking of a Dissolution of Marriage, you need to fully understand all the issues in your case. While Washington is a no fault state, you will still need to decide what to do with your property, custody/parenting plan if there are children, dividing debts, child support, and do you need alimony (maintenance), or will the other party request maintenance. Legal Separation A legal separation means the spouses are separating, but not ending their marriage. It means more than living in separate homes. One spouse may file a legal action know as a petition for legal separation. As in a Dissolution, you will need to decide how your property, and debts will be divided. You need to determine if you need support/maintenance/alimony, or if you must pay such support/alimony. If you have children, you will need to decide a parenting plan, and issues related to child support. We understand how difficult it is to go through a divorce, or legal separation. We take pride in the fact we shoulder the burden of the legal aspect, so you can use your time to heal emotionally, and make plans for the future. Our office has extensive experience in divorce, and all family law matters. CHILD CUSTODY - Ensure The Best Outcome For Your Family We provide clarity, and Guidance Over the years, the legislature has refined many aspects of how child custody case are decided. The court must look to what is in the best interest of the children. An order for child custody is now called a parenting plan. A parenting plan will define where the children will live, what type of visitations will occur, the legal rights of both parties, and how legal decisions will be made as to the children. One of the many factors the court will take into consideration in establishing a parenting plan will be the relative strength, nature, and stability of the children's relationship with each parent. When parents separate, the results can be very emotional, especially for children. That is why you need an experienced family law attorney who has not only handled the most basic of parenting plans, but has litigated complex custody disputes. Other matters such as Non-Parental Custody, Relocation, and Paternity issues require parenting plans as well. There are many issues when it comes to ensuring you have the right parenting plan for you, and your children, and Robin J. Krane has 29 years of experience in ensuring you have the right parenting plan for you and your children. CHILD SUPPORT- Protect Your Children’s Well Being Ensuring your child’s needs are met Both parties have a legal obligation to support their children in the State of Washington. In a divorce, or legal separation, the court can order one, or both parties to provide support. Support is not just an amount a party may pay to support a child. You could also be obligated to pay health insurance premiums, day care costs, educational expenses, and extracurricular expenses depending on the case. Child support is payable until the child reaches the age of 18, or graduates from high school, whichever occurs last. In Washington, you can be obligated for post-secondary support if you child attends college, or trade school. Washington courts use the Washington Child Support Schedule as a baseline for support. A child support order will include which parent will pay child support, what if any child care, and other expenses will be paid, and included in the order of support. Depending on which parent is paying these extra expenses they may be entitled to a credit towards his/her child support order. Child support can be complicated due to these extra expenses, 401k deductions of either party, seasonal work, union dues, retirement deductions, per diem pay, state taxes (Oregon). In determining support, all income, and resources of each parent's household shall be disclosed, and considered by the court. Only the income of the parents of the children whose support is at issue shall be calculated for purpose of calculating the basic support obligation. It is important for the court to have all information of both parents in arriving at the proper amount of child support for their needs. This is sometimes difficult if the other party is unemployed, or self employed. This is why you need an experienced attorney who can obtain all of the necessary income information to ensure the child support calculation is correct. Depending on your parenting time with your children, you may be entitled to a residential credit, which will may reduce the amount of child support you pay the other parent. Such deduction is discretionary with the court, and depends on many factors. This is why a dedicated attorney, who has the knowledge from years of experience dealing with these factors, is important when establishing a child support order. MAINTENANCE / SPOUSAL SUPPORT We work to get a fair solution Maintenance (sometimes call alimony, or spousal support) is determined by Washington Law. The statute sets out specific factors the court must consider when making an award of maintenance. These factors include, but are not limited to: 1. Does a party have a need for maintenance? 2. Does the other party have the ability to pay maintenance? 3. The marital standard of living. 4. The assets and debts of the parties. 5. The duration of the parties marriage. 6. The age and health of the parties. 7. Whether one parent delayed obtaining employment/education to raise children. In any case, pending trial, there may be a request for maintenance. A party needs to understand how this will affect his/her other financial obligations. Sometimes, expert testimony is necessary to establish the martial standard of living, and actual income, particularly in situations where one party is self- employed, or unemployed. Obtaining or defending against a claim for maintenance requires experienced legal counsel, and Robin J. Krane is well versed in the relevant law.
Affordable Excellence